Volunteer Community Navigators resource the whole family of newcomers and create networks of support by connecting immigrants to people and resources in the Pinellas and Manatee county local communities. Community navigators are bilingual and bicultural community leaders who serve as mentors and
- Provide learning activities and resources for health, safety and life skills.
- Collaborate with organizations that offer financial literacy classes and enroll small family groups
- Community Navigators build knowledge of community resources and refer newcomer families to agencies and organizations as needed
- provide translations and interpreter services as needed
- serve as a liaison between parents of school-age kids and the schools and teachers
- Translate and advocate at parent-teacher conferences
- We hold quarterly community events that welcome 100-200 newcomer students and family members. These fun, family-friendly gatherings are organized in collaboration with partner agencies. They include communal cooking, arts and crafts, soccer, and giveaways.
- We hold workshops on a wide range of topics: health and wellness, positive parenting, healthy nutrition, the U.S. citizenship application process, knowing your rights, and managing your finances. We also run support groups in students’ native languages.
- In addition, we offer regular field trips that build community and allow students to learn more about their new home. Destinations include the SF Academy of Sciences, Disney on Ice, the Exploratorium, SF Giants’ games, and local museums.
- Replace with community mentors
Advocating for Students
- We engage parents and family members in their children’s education. Mentors communicate with parents at least once a month to provide parents with a space where they can discuss questions and concerns about their children’s education, as well as share information and knowledge with each other.
- NicerFL’s goal is for parents to feel empowered to communicate with schools and teachers and make informed decisions for their children.