This program is for new immigrants who are at the beginning stage of learning to read and write for the first time in any language and wish to learn English.
The curriculum provides English language and literacy instruction on 3 levels:
- Level A newcomer students may recognize that pictures represent real-life objects, and shapes represent letters but have difficulty drawing pictures or copying letters.
- Level B newcomer students may be able to copy letters, but may not be able to write them in a dictation exercise.
- Level C newcomer students may be able to read words representing classroom objects, but may not be able to write them in a dictation exercise.
- CASAS Oral Screening
- Student obtains ≤5 points on the Oral Screening, we administer the five practice items from CASAS Form 27.
- Student has some difficulty completing the five practice items, we administer the FLDOE Native Language Literacy Screening. We score according to directions, and place the student in the course at the indicated level, A, B, or C. The Screening tool can be downloaded at http://www.fldoe.org/Workforce/AdultEd/resources.asp.
If the student is able to complete the five practice items without difficulty, we do not place the student in the Basic Literacy Program. The student Assessor places the student in the Adult ESOL Program